View Single Post
Old 27 February 2012, 12:16 AM   #5
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Post 5 - Originally by Jedly1
yep, always a good one this
hi dell, thanks, yes ive read both the articles before, and understand completely your thoughts, and of course there is no arguemnt over ian flemings watch ,

as for the James bond watch , well as it' a fictional character and the author is passed away, interpretation becomes the name of the game which is going to involve a lot of if but and maybes, and so therefore is subjective i guess, if we treat it as two real books that reference the Rolex, then i guess im one of those that still struggle to dismisss the first instance of a Rolex in L&LD, and to be honest im pretty sure you agree its a Rolex sub.

To dismiss it because it is ONLY issued by Q for a mission rather than bought by the character himself seems very bizarre to me, it is the first mention regardless, and surely half the good stuff he has is Q issued. For me at least it makes the OHMSS discussion interesting but a bit moot.

On the second book OHMSS, there is a leap based on little but the description of the 369 numerals.

in favour of an explorer is:

a) that is the watch IF had himself.
b) that it has 369 numerals... on to which a lot of weight is put.

in favour of a 369 sub is the fact that

a) he'd obviosuly used one before in L&LD even if only issued.
b) thats what the Royal navy were issuing ( and incedentally) naval officers were buying for themselves - and as you point out IF was a thorough and complete reseacrher.
c) that it is a noticeably HEAVY oyster
d ) as you say IF was a stickler for detail and let the dr No watch stand as a submariner, so equally this is an indication it was broadly in line with his thinking.
e) importantly, there ARE examples with only the wording Rolex oyster perpetual and no model name.

take your pick of the below that could all equally fit the description... yet if you really want a watch that fits, how about the first one, supplied on bracelet, 369 numerals, radium, and MOST importantly only has the wording Rolex oyster perpetual ... no model name...

the 6200

jed1.jpg

the A6538 royal navy submariner

jed 2.jpg

the 5510 naval submariner

the 5510 369

jed3.jpg

the 5512 naval submariner

jed4.jpg

the 5512 369

jed5.jpg

the 5513 369 (one of the early ones and one of 5 variants predominatly marketed heavily in the UK, in and around 62/3)

another

jed7.jpg

so again for me, if you choose to ignore the first book l&LD , its an unanswerable question and we are back to fun speculation, the 369 detail gives us no answers so it mostly goes back to guessing.

IMHO if you want to be like james bond firstly buy a series of cheap expendable watches, or get someone else to pay for your watch, or get a grip he aint real :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jed6.jpg (108.8 KB, 9685 views)

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 28 February 2012 at 01:17 AM..
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote