View Single Post
Old 10 April 2018, 11:23 PM   #24
77T
2024 Pledge Member

after service, crown doesn't screw down flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Not true the seal is in the crown and not metal to metal contact with the case.This is why you should only screw the winding crown just finger tight.In general if crown screws tight against the case the seal is worn or damaged.

Peter’s correct - and if it helps, see the illustration I marked up for readers below.

The red highlighted o-ring is what he mentioned - note how it gets compressed in the “screwed down” position. Even stopping one-half turn short of bottom would seal the crown.

If it bottomed out completely, you could have a failed o-ring as Peter noted.

As for the gap you are asking about - the green highlighted space is how the crown should stop slightly short of the case itself.

Now if that space is greater than the nominal gap (and I can’t really measure the photo) then perhaps an oversized o-ring was installed in the new crown.

Or perhaps the tube wasn’t fully seated to compress against the case washer. This last possibility could compromise your water resistance. If you are unsure then consider this - the watch surely was pressure tested by RSC after the overhaul. So I believe this isn’t likely.

I just can’t tell for sure from that photo. But as you can plainly see, the various o-rings would still be protecting your movement from water. If you’re worried, send it back for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote