View Single Post
Old 11 October 2011, 06:03 AM   #36
monty`

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post
So I wonder, are you guys selecting the rolex over the panerai simply because it is a rolex? Or, are you comparing model to model?
that's what it looks like to me...despite this being in the Panerai sub-forum we are still on TRF...

personally i think Datejusts are hideous. the watch just does not sing to me - the stick hands, the cyclops, etc. i especially can't stand the fluted bezel. i also don't get how people think they're at all versatile? it's far too 'blingy' (for me at least) to wear when dressing down, on vacation, etc. a Submariner, maybe.

the 359 on the other hand is much more versatile and here's why - you can change the strap as often as you like which gives you a watch that can fit any situation. yes, this includes formal business wear - i work in finance and wear my PAM111 to work everyday. as do many others in similar white collar roles. the 1950 case is a little chunkier so i would suggest trying one on first to see if it's to your liking. some people prefer to wear very tight cuffs which could pose an issue with this case.

i get the impression that the die-hard Rolex fans think of PAMs as too big. like wall clock on the wrist 'too big'. i had similar sentiments until i tried one on and realized the wrist presence is not even close to what i thought it would be. don't let the 44mm case hold you back.

in summation - buy the 359:

-style (no cyclops, small seconds hand, cream luminova, exhibition caseback)
-ability to change straps and have a 'new watch', LOTS of versatility
-in house movement (not a huge deal to me but i find people snub their noses at PAMs with ETA movements)
-3 day power reserve (i think Rolex movements are 48 hours)
-no fluted bezel
monty` is offline   Reply With Quote