View Single Post
Old 10 October 2017, 11:31 AM   #34
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
On another point, having read this thread right through from top to bottom, I'm actually beginning to feel mildly concerned that Panerai could be heading down the same road as Omega. Perhaps someone can help me out here but Omega seem to be freely available from grey sellers here for prices approaching 30% off MSRP and the values absolutely tank on the used market. That tells me that they're either way over-priced to begin with or they're losing their appeal. Or both. I hope Panerai isn't going that way.
From my perspective as someone whom is quite passionate about Omega and getting more and more into Panerai:

Omega's issue with their newer releases is not based upon their quality. Both the quality and mechanics of their newer releases are absolutely top notch. However, they suffer from a combination of under appreciation and over production. They are making too many variations of the different models (even though I personally appreciate the variety) which leads to a watering down of their line up. This is combined with supply outpacing demand. Ergo, too many models for too few buyers is resulting in the lowered second hand costs. Quality wise, they will stand toe to toe with production houses on the market at their various price points and tier. Vintage and certain LEs for Omega are a totally different story.

My concern with Panerai is that they too are turning in the direction of overproducing model variation leading to the same watering down effect. Add to that some of the construction sacrifices they've made recently on new releases (snap on case back, much lower WR, ect) and higher production may result in a similar phenomenon.

None of the above is fact of course. Simply my personal opinion as a passionate owner of both brands.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote