View Single Post
Old 27 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #5
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Mike,

As a Lume lover, I can say that I definitely wish my Tritium Dialed Watches had Superluminova on them.

Remember that Lume is designed to supply light for hours and hours after there is NO light available.

Do a test for me.

Tonight, when you go to bed, charge the watch next to a lamp or some light source, set it down. Go to sleep in a DARK room (This won't work if you have a bunch of light pollution) when you wake up, can you see the watch? Read the time?

I've found that all of my GOOD watches, and even my cheaper Seiko Divers have the ability to be read 10 hours after they last saw the light. Are they Torches at that time? No. They are legible and usable.

The thing about Superluminova is that it will have the same effect for decades, where as Tritium dies and will never be active again.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. What I can certainly tell you already, based on some testing , is it's not very legible under normal conditions. Of course the type of watch you have matters. With my sky dweller the hands are very narrow and it does not have a lot luminescent on it to begin with. So although I can see the sticks around the perimeter, the hands are very difficult to discern. Also the few tests I did were in a dark windowless bathroom where I turn the light off and looked at my watch in pitch blackness. I guess I have to keep in mind that my eyes have not adjusted to the darkness yet so it will probly get better if I was in a dark environment already for a while, like what you're suggesting.

If this is normal then I am definitely a bit disappointed because there is that classic situation where the light in the room is too low to read the watch hands, but it's not low enough for the luminescence to actually stand out. In a pitch black Room yeah I guess I can read it. But I'm really never in a pitch black Room. Thats when I might just have to use my phone to tell the time lol

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote