View Single Post
Old 7 November 2020, 03:53 AM   #26
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I guess it depends on what you consider or prioritize as "value".
If my goal in selecting watches was to minimise loss on future sale, then I'd only look at AP, PP and Rolex. Unfortunately, a slew of other companies have cheekily made watches that I like- IWC, Blancpain, Breguet, Omega, Pam, VC and GS. Their precipitous residuals have not prevented me from purchasing and "valuing", or enjoying ownership. I don't consider them part of my portfolio for maintaining wealth.

"Compare a sub with a GS diver, you’re not getting double the watch with Rolex but you’re paying more than double the price!"

If i found the sub to be the most attractive watch ever- then I'd pay double the GS price and be happy whether or not it's "market value" went up or down.

You see LE's as diluting your investment, I see them as an opportunity to pick up a variation of a watch I now found more aesthetically attractive. Fair enough.

As to the OP's question- I'd trust Seiko to have a handle on their marketing strategy better than anyone here, regardless as to whether it's popular amongst WIS