View Single Post
Old 20 June 2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I've never seen MOP deteriorate in any way what so ever, and I've had exposure to it as a material for well over 45 years.
As far as I know it's virtually timeless.

Rolex uses exhibition grade MOP and there can be quite a big variation in it from one piece to the next just as no two pieces are alike.
It's a lottery what one gets in terms of appearance.
When I was looking for my wife's watch with a MOP dial as my wedding present to her. I searched high and low through the local AD's for quite a long while and as stock was turning over until I found one example that I was happy to give to her.
It was made more difficult because we had specifically chosen the White MOP with 10 diamonds in 31 MM with the fluted Rose gold bezel.
There seemed to be some nice examples of white MOP just not in the specific watch configuration we were after.

There are things such as fake MOP in the marketplace, also there is MOP which is of a lower standard that I understand is enhanced in some way to add colour.
Perhaps it's these materials which deteriorate in some way?

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect example.
It could be an expensive quest if you are particular.
In that light it may be more cost effective to sell the current watch privately and purchase a new watch that is a known quantity in terms of appearance and you are happy with from the proceeds of the sale.
As I say, it's a lottery as to what you will ultimately get going by my own experience just looking through the AD's, and that was the easy part.
The problem will be compounded going through the RSC, as to them one MOP dial is the same as another with no guarantee any piece you will end up with will be satisfactory to you. You don't get a choice.
To go this way will incur an additional cost each time you change dials.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote