View Single Post
Old 17 February 2020, 03:53 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Brands are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Rolex lets the gray market resell at stupid markups and everyone's pissed at Rolex, saying they're purposefully restricting supply to drive up the reputation and pricing and that they should do something about flippers and grays.

And Omega is producing an amazing watch, in sufficient numbers to meet demand (or slightly exceed, since there are discounts) and people are pissed off that the watch depreciates.

In the end, they're just commodities. The Rolex bubble will burst, at some point and a lot of people will be left holding expensive pieces they can't dump any anything resembling a reasonable price.

It's funny to watch the hand wringing about resale value. I'll buy a watch to wear. If I need or want to sell it, bonus if it's worth more, but I fully expect it to not fetch a profit.
You appear to make a lot of incorrect assumptions about my post.

If you’ve seen anything about my history here, I’m likely one if the biggest fans of omega on the forum.

I also don’t complain about Rolex, or their secondary pricing.

When I buy omega, it’s in the boutique 100% of the time. So much so that omega has flown me to multiple locations across the US for private events.

That said, and I’ve told this directly to the big dogs at omega that it’s frustrating to see how they are allowing their watches to be sold at 40% off of retail. They can and should control this better.

Nothing but endless discount threads here. I find that annoying. I don’t mind paying for quality. What I mind is that someone can then go find the same thing for 40% less. It devalues my purchase. And sadly, it turns me off a brand with good watches.

And no, I don’t buy watches based on their value. If I did, I would not buy at a boutique. But I most certainly do care about the value of something I’m spending money on. Depreciation means little to me. Buying a watch near to full cost and having it worth 40% less because the brand simply wants to sell volume does.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote