View Single Post
Old 24 January 2011, 11:59 PM   #103
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENES240 View Post
Does Rolex have a list like that? If so, can I call them to see who it was originally sold to?
AFAIK serial numbers of stolen watches are reported to Rolex and added to their list. You certainly have not done anything wrong at all, but if the police recovered it when they nicked a burglar or thief, I'd imagine two scenarios.

A: The previous owner didn't know what it was, had it since way back, and chalked it up as a lost watch, and will probably figure he had a good run out of it and buy a new one.

B: The previous owner knew exactly what it was, kept it safe until it was taken from him, has probably claimed a very decent insurance payout from it, and reported it to Rolex as a stolen watch, the type of guys on this site would all report the serial.

This is pure speculation and it could well have come to the police some other way, but looking at it, someone cared about that watch, enough to even keep the original folded link bracelet in good condition for its age, and given the profile of this watch (and the profile its soon to have once its picked up from here from a news site or two and crosslinked on other forums) its a consideration that it may draw a straight line back to the last wrist it sat on.

But that's just what floated into my head reading this thread, don't take my remarks as gospel by any means, I'm just as stunned as everyone else at this amazing find!
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --