View Single Post
Old 10 April 2020, 07:53 AM   #27
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabus View Post
Interesting, did he say whether they're commonly solved or not? (I'd imagine not)

What's not clear to me (I suppose because I'm not a criminal) is where the market is for high-value stolen Rolexes. Given that it seems most pawn shops as well as Rolex service centers will check serial numbers against stolen databases, where do you find a buyer for a stolen $30k gold Rolex? Is it just a group of criminals all buying and selling amongst themselves?
The unit he is assigned to have had some recent success in breaking up a multiple county theft/robbery ring spanning both sides of the Bay. They recovered luxury clothes, handbags, jewelry, electronics, power tools and more so there is hope, especially if it is part of a larger scale operation.

As far as where they resell, yes, some items, mostly firearms get circulated through the criminal network and sold over and over. With a watch as expensive as yours chances are they will want to cash in. He suggested keeping an eye on Craigslist, California wide and Nevada, even in our area where it was stolen, yes they are bold and often times not too bright. Ebay, Reddit and other person to person or e-commerce sites as well. He suggested reaching out to pawn shops in the Bay Area, give them the info on the watch. Than again he also warned not all pawn shops play by the rules and on more the one occasion they have located known stolen merchandise in a pawn shop so it doesn't hurt to go in person if you can. It might not show up immediately, keep an eye out over the course of the next several months.

I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to recover your Daytona. Don't give up!
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote