View Single Post
Old 3 June 2020, 04:21 AM   #15
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSlingshot View Post
OP is in Canada.

Canadian banking system may or may not be the same as your location.

Anyone can deposit into anyone’s account.

So,

Let’s say OP asks for cash to be deposited but scammer deposits a cheque and it’s not done in front of him (other location) - he will see the deposit on his account.

OP now transfers or withdraws the entire amount.

Cheque bounces, his account goes into a negative - or the bank takes monies from an account/credit source to cover the negative.

So - control who deposits or just pass.

And the very idea that craigslist/kijiji used to sell luxury stuff is literally assinine.

I’d add one point. If a check is deposited, the transfer hasn’t cleared and can’t be withdrawn in any manner (whether by physical or electronic means).

But if seller has a balance exceeding the check’s value, then that money can be withdrawn.

For those who think it is safe to transfer a wired amount to a 2nd bank as a sign of safety, I’d refer you to every country’s clawback regulations for financial fraud (which the OPs case boils down to).

There is no safety net if you receive a fraudulent wire transfer. The banks will subrogate to keep their books whole. The bank that initially accepts the wire will end up as the institution that debits the seller’s account. And if that account is empty they will file a lien on any property they can. And if you don’t have such property, they file a suit for NSF to satisfy the fraudulent wire debit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote