View Single Post
Old 2 September 2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Omega gmt and Rolex Sub.

For 13 years I've worn a TT sub. Before that I had a GMT II. This week I added to my one watch collection with an Omega GMT. Only time will tell if it holds up, but here are my initial thoughts.

Sword hands and oversized number markers: As elegant as the mercedes hands are these are so incredibly visible and the lume on this face is the as good as it gets. I think Rolex are trying to improve on lowlight visibility with the new maxi dial. The markers are painted directly onto the face, but I don't mind that at, all as it suites the overall design very well. Personally, I like the more subtle GMT hand over the Rolex.

Dial: Semi gloss with a wave pattern. Not as nice as the Rolex deep gloss dial, but pleasant never-the-less.

Caliber: I hear very good things about the Omega 1120, but I'll be surprised if it matches the consistency of the 3135. In the three days I've had it, it has gained three seconds and then lost them again. So far, so good.

Bracelet: The "Speedy" bracelet is very solid. No hollow links and beautifully finished. I always wear my Rolex loose, but the Speedy is very comfortable to wear with no slack. While the speedy is probably a better bracelet and more comfortable, I prefer the classic look of the Oyster, rattles and all.

Bezel: The Rolex is the time honored classic. What can beat that, but the Omega is very positive and smooth - more like the new GMT.

I really like the Omega and think is a great compliment to my Sub.
So, here are my two watches.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote