View Single Post
Old 16 February 2018, 02:26 AM   #25
Vlad
"TRF" Member

+1

I strongly believe that the market and our hobby is changing - and will change dramatically in the next 20 years.

Personally, I would love to see a mechanical watch with a smart bracelet. Plenty of real-estate to work with - especially with flexible screens which are already here.

At the same time, for us, I think the change is already here.
1) On this forum, vintage discussion is 1/10 the size of the modern forum. On the other forum, frequency of posting is so low, that's it's actually sad.
2) the prices for a run-of-the mill Rolexes has not been moving much (as far as I can see); Really old pieces (BB and earlier) don't bring what they used to and boy's size watches are not desired by anyone (sorry for over generalization)
3) 'Desired' pieces and perfect pieces skyrocketed - but can burst just as quickly as the BubbleBack bubble of the 80s/90s.

To me, this is a hobby - it's by no means an investment. With the changing environment, I buy and collect what I want - to enjoy these watch. If I ever end up selling them for more, excellent - but I don't expect it.

It's a hobby and a passion - but, honestly, my kids don't share it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Yes, this is a problem for us !

I know I’m going to get flamed, but so be it.

There is no greater fan of mechanical watches than I, but the reality is, there is a generational shift in the watch world happening before our eyes. I too began to insert the cranial section into the sand, then something become apparent.

In 10-20 years, a 15 year old will have no perception of what a mechanical watch is because their Parents wore a smart watch ! Many of these online discussions on this matter always resort to “ there will always be people interested in conventional wrist watches”. Well that argument has no merit when those “people” have not been exposed to such. Most (not all) here wear a watch because their parents, or their grandparents did so. But what if they hadn’t ? Would you be here now ? Now, if your parents and grandparents wore electronic devices on their wrist instead, would you be here ?

This is not to say that all the traditional watch industry is going to disappear, but the damage to such could be far worse than the “quartz movement”. The potential is present for 50% of watch manufacturers to fold, sell, merge, etc........

To save the industry, watch manufacturers should remove their head from the sand and develop some sort of hybrid mechanical watch for this new segment of buyers. A fully mechanically driven piece, where the rotor and mainspring also generate an electrical current, which can be stored internally. This would power all interfaces/functions of the piece. The dial would almost look like a conventional dial, yet be a sort of operator screen when activated via voice, possible bezel, or even crown. There has actually been a few renderings of such recently, but of course everyone laughed them out ! Remember when we all said electric cars would never happen ? Remember when we laughed at the thought of a self-driving car ? Buggy manufacturers said automobiles were a “follie” too. Etc ................................

Now, who’s sending me some money to invest in this idea ?

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote