View Single Post
Old 17 January 2021, 09:36 AM   #7
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneristinewb View Post
In an interesting turn of events, it seems as though Panerai quietly updated their P.9010 movement for 2020 onwards. I recently purchased a PAM1313, which I am totally in love with. Having owned a PAM312 before, I knew my way around Panerai watches quite well. Upon receiving my new timepiece, I was quite surprised to notice that I was unable to stop the seconds hand for accurate time adjustment. I searched various YouTube videos and saw demonstrations of the seconds hacking when the crown was fully pulled out. Being a new piece, I sent it in to the Dallas service center in order to have it examined and fully expecting it to be a manufactures defect and have them correct the issue. Interestingly, and somewhat disconcertingly, it seems as though the movement has been changed and seconds are no longer hacking in this new P.9010 movement. Although not a big deal given the 72 hour power reserve, it is quite a pain in the butt and I cannot for the life of me think of what advantage removing this feature could’ve afforded in the manufacture of the movement. Please see attached email from the Panerai center for those interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawatch View Post
Knowing how Panerai tends to operate, I'll bet they've swapped it to an "upgraded" movement that is cheaper/easier to service/contains fewer jewels.
I agree with the above, any change like this is very likely for the worse.

I bought a first series PAM682 42mm diver back when they first came out--with transparent caseback and 9010 movement--and loved it.

when they, some time later, swapped the movement out for something worse and increased the prices for their "entry level" 42mm submersibles, I decided I was probably done with new panerai.

it's just too frustrating--when rolex and other brands are innovating movement technology at every opportunity, even in minor ways, for a brand like this to be moving in the opposite direction just seems to say they aren't interested in catering to a consumer that cares about this sort of thing.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote