View Single Post
Old 12 July 2020, 11:43 PM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

All my PAMs have been 44-47mm. I have owned every case shape. Even within cases, certain references can wear differently depending on the movement (the most modern Panerai movements are flatter and thus the cases are less bulky). These are huge generalizations, but the Submersibles at 47mm tend to wear the largest. I flipped my 1305 because of this. I also own a 372 which is a 47mm Luminor 1950 case and the Submersible was clearly larger (even with the newer movement). The Radiomirs will always wear smaller. I think a 45-47mm Radiomir is almost the same thing. They are just so flat that they will wear small in almost every circumstance (especially manual wind models). The same holds true for the Radiomir 1940 models.

Based on what you are saying, I think a 44mm Luminor 1950 model would be a good choice for you. The manual wind movements like that in the 233 or the newer automatic movements like those in the 1312 I own flatten the case somewhat and make it less bulky, but still large enough to wear like a Panerai. People tend to start at 44mm and move up to 47mm Panerai, but I found that most 47mm Panerai are just a little too big for me. I'm actually on the fence about selling my 372 because of this. It's such an iconic model, but I think I've found my sweet spot at 44mm Luminors and 45mm Radiomirs.

Anything 44mm and up will wear larger than a 44mm AP or Rolex. Except maybe a 45mm Radiomir. APs tend to look their true size whereas Rolex tends to wear smaller. I also find that IWC tends to wear smaller than its stated size. Hope some of this helps.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote