View Single Post
Old 4 January 2020, 09:45 AM   #1
mfoster978
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grandfather's Watc
HELP - I inherited my first Rolex watch and I don't know what to do!

Hey guys,

I've been trying to do a lot of research and I keep coming to this page but I'm having a hard time figuring things out. All these parts I just don't understand. All I know is what I see. It's a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day Date. I inherited this watch from my grand father who I miss a lot and he wore this almost every day since he had it. He passed away in 1998 and my grandmother stored his stuff in a memory box which she recently gave me. The watch is about 25 years but I have no paperwork at all for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel completely illiterate about Rolex watches, never released they were so advanced.

Question 1: This is real right? Reason is the second question.

Question 2: From my research, am I right that there is NO battery inside?

Question 3: Is the main spring broken? Details below
I have unscrewed the knob on the right and it pops out. From videos online position 0 is to wind, position 1 is to set the date, and position 2 is to set time. Position 1 and 2 seem to work fine but position 0 doesn't seem to work. When I spin it it seems like it's freely spinning like it's not attached to something? I'm completely lost. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe something is broken.

Question 4: If it is broken what do you think this would cost to have fixed, serviced, and cleaned? I know you can't give me an exact but an estimate would be great. Also can it be diagnosed for free so I at least know how much exactly it will cost?

Question 5: What do I need to know about these watches?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. 2 Photos attached. One with flash on one with flash off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20200103_183126.jpg (232.9 KB, 1385 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20200103_183151.jpg (160.5 KB, 1381 views)
mfoster978 is offline   Reply With Quote