View Single Post
Old 26 February 2008, 11:21 PM   #5
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

I was there 4 years ago with my wife.

We started with a sales women who would only budge 10% off a slightly cheaper caribbean price on a YG DD.

I finally got the Manager to convene, he was wearing a DD YG and he took it off and said,, Do you like mine? I said WOW... yes

He had just gotten it back from Rolex in NYC. He told me this watch was 16 years old and was just serviced and polished. I could not (at that time) tell the difference.

Now I can by the weight of an older DD.

Anyway.

He said 15% off, no sales tax, BUT

I would not risk bringing this watch into the USA and not reporting the duty on it. It was discounted to $16,550 at that time but the Customs tax would be some percentage on $16,550 less $800 allowance which would have eaten into my savings.

I would have a big problem lying on the US Customs Form and sneaking an expensive item into the USA via a cruise or foreign trip.

The John Bull staff was very professional but the customs duties took the wind out of my sale.

They did give me some suggestions on how to cheat, ie, send the box to the USA but thats a dead giveaway if the Bahama Post Office is in cahoots with the US Customs.

or

Dont take the Box and the warranty items in case they check for this,,, NO way, I want my box, receipt and warranty papers.

I just didnt see the plusses in buying something that expensive in the Caribbean. I am sure things are purchased daily and forms are filled out with out listing items but so be it,, I am not judging anyone but me and I won't do it.

Buy Local !! Can get 10% off and have your local AD as your friend!! How much is that worth? Priceless...

Don
newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote