View Single Post
Old 27 August 2019, 08:12 PM   #47
Pollybampton
"TRF" Member

Here's my experience. I used the same jeweller who is an AD for a good few years, almost exclusively for gifts for my wife. Didn't buy any Rolexes, although my wife bought my Cellini from there. Reason I used them was 3 fold.
1. When studying photography, they would let me borrow jewellry and watches for test shots for free. I never forget a favour.
2. My wife and I would be invited to fantastic promo dinners which was a lovely way of maintaining the client relationship going.
3. I could always haggle over price without fear of embarrassment.
We stopped going to the promo evenings because we actually stopped buying stuff. My wife had all the jewellry she wanted, and as I mentioned in my first post, I wasn't a collector and was happy with my 2 watches.
When I decided I'd like to have a couple of watches for my kids when I pop my clogs, I decided on a SS Daytona and a SS Submariner date, and went in to see my old AD. Everyone has moved on, the owner has retired, his daughter now runs the show. The watch guy sat me down and we had a long chat. He explained that they won't sell Subs or Daytonas to anyone who is not a preferred customer. He checked my past purchases and said maybe 6 months for the SS sub, but could be 17 years for a SS Daytona. I said I was in no rush.
On holiday in the canary islands, an AD I came across had both pieces in bi metal in their window. I was told if I bought both, I could get an SS Daytona. I decided against it. I'm not a collector and not interested in getting involved in buying and selling.
Yesterday, my home AD contacted me, and they have a Sub for me if I want it.
I'm delighted. It took 6 weeks in total. They're not short of customers, so this makes me feel pretty special , and it reinvigorates the past relationship.
I might post a pic later, but in the meantime, here's a couple of snaps from back in the old days of film, 5x4 cameras, no retouching, no photoshop, and my apprenticeship. There's lots wrong with the pics, but it was a start.
Pollybampton is offline   Reply With Quote