View Single Post
Old 16 August 2018, 08:32 PM   #37
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
I truly don't think it is.
The era of utility watches, the era when rolex was simply a tool watch and not a luxury brand/watch, is not returning.
There are MANY reasons why we collect vintage watches, and I truly think that the coming generations will continue to love, enjoy, and wear vintage watches for the same reasons.

Prices may correct, go up and then decline again, but I don't think that vintage watch collecting will become a dying hobby.
Younger guys are more than ever before venturing the market. Social media plays a role with exposure. It is otherwise very difficult for one to be exposed to vintage watches.
I along with many of my friends and likeminded collectors started out with modern collecting, and haven't looked back once we were exposed to vintage.
Agreed. Collecting vintage is stronger than ever and it is indeed the young mans game today compared to 10 years ago.

I have no idea where the market is going but I feel fairly certain that pieces in top condition will continue to climb. Great watches are still very cheap compared to many other luxury items. That said I wouldn't invest my money in common models which aren't rare. I would however buy if I liked them for what they are.