View Single Post
Old 15 June 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Hi Pat, and welcome!

First off, don’t worry about not wanting to spend a fortune. I wouldn’t advise it anyway.

If you are buying a fountain pen, the quality of the components, and particularly the nib, generally get better as you spend more. Thus the top end pens offer a superb writing experience, which you pay for.

A ballpoint will only ever write as well as it’s refill, in fact, it’s only really a holder for a refill, so there’s no point spending mega bucks!

So, to get something decent, start with the makers of decent refills, and go from there.

Best are probably Caran d’ache. They write superbly and reliably in all conditions. The yellow pen on the left below is a Caran d’ache. Inexpensive and decent. Swiss made.

Next choice, probably a Fisher space pen. The refills are pressurised and they write on most surfaces. The next pen along is a Fisher. Nicely made - brass and chrome, and made in the U.S. too. Both the Caran and the Fisher write well on most papers, including waterproof paper.

Third pen is another Caran d’ache. This is an “Alchemix” which is a bigger ballpoint that feels more like a fountain pen.

Another maker of superb refills is Pilot. They are probably Japan’s premier pen maker and their ballpoints are lovely. The pen shown is a Custom 74.

Price ranges for the pens shown (I’m trying to convert to $) probably about $15 for the yellow Caran d’ache to about $70 for the Pilot.

If you do get a different pen, and the writing isn’t to your liking, you can improve it by changing refill. The Caran d’ache are interchangeable with any Parker style, alternatively use a Schneider “Slider” which are great!

Incidentally, I fly for a living, and modern cockpits are a bad environment for pens, being very dry as well as subject to pressure changes. None of the pens shown have ever failed me.

Note also, that all of them are push retractable. Many makers make twist pens, but I can’t see the point of having a ballpoint that you can’t use one handed, so I avoid them.

Further note, that all of these are “conventional” ball point pens, as you requested. Roller balls don’t work for everybody, but you might consider a gel pen. Pilot offer some nice gel pens too.

If you would like an alternative to a Mont Blanc then consider Pelikan, Visconti, Pilot, Sailor etc. All make nice pens a notch up from those I’ve already shown, but less costly than a Mont Blanc. I can post examples if interested!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 862C19B0-5CCD-44A9-8932-E1953A413C4B.jpeg (140.1 KB, 406 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote