Thread: Search on Bing
View Single Post
Old 28 June 2017, 07:38 AM   #117
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
LOL, was looking for this thread and see the title was changed.

There was some discussion about the difference between the 5 and 6 digit references. I owned 4 different 16613's over the years. 2 tritium and 2 luminova. The first tritium was an early 16613 from the late 80's and I wore it daily for many years. The dial faded and did the blueple thing. It was unique and different. The second tritium dial, the dial did not change but the plots/hands did develop some nice warm patina. The two luminova dials look very similar to the 6 digit version I currently wear and did not age in the time I had them. I personally do not think the color is much different especially the later 5 digit dials.

I was a 4 and 5 digit guy for a long time. I was pretty anti 6 digit. I bought a 6 digit LN back when they first came out and quickly traded it for another 5 digit as I just "hated" the maxi case. Loved the maxi dial/hands, glide lock and ceramic bezel but could not get with the case.
A good friend and collector kept telling me that the 6 digit bluesy was the better watch. I had a Daytona that was getting no wrist time, so I traded it to David for a 6 digit Bluesy. For whatever reason, this time the case was a total non issue. Just fell in love with the modern 116613 LB. It was just like back in the 80's when I got my first blue Sub. I liked it so much I bought a 114060 a few weeks later.

I guess I am trying to make two points. IMO the dial on the modern version is just as beautiful as the original...and over time, tastes change.

Carry On...
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote