View Single Post
Old 26 March 2020, 01:37 AM   #3855
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

On the topic of hoarding, remember that the CDC issued an advisory 3 weeks ago...

The one saying stock-up on supplies - to be prepared for up to 2 weeks of family needs. That inadvertently triggered people to buy. And some might have thought, “I’d better double that just to be safe”. And some people had to shop for their household, an elderly family members home, and/or disabled neighbors.

For example, some people only heard that CDC advisory via TV news - like this story: https://youtu.be/wYtGfqV-bzY

Now if you agree a picture is worth a thousand words, just look at the 00:20 second mark.

I’m not attacking media, but in that market (Las Vegas) over 90,000 subscribers to the KTNV YT channel saw the images and heard a dog whistle to buy big.

Every media market would have seen/heard a slightly different dog whistle.

Earthquake zone dwellers are programmed to figure out how to be self-sufficient without water, electricity, shelter. Maybe Blizzard zone dwellers react similarly, as might Hurricane zone dwellers.

Couple that with this data point: Nearly 40 percent of Americans live close to the coast. So that might have amplified buying patterns as well. Because they have preparation thought patterns for multiple disaster types. The inadvertent CDC dog whistle was that COVID might spiral into doomsday. I don’t think anyone could be charged with overstating it.

Here in ATL, Costco looked like a holiday crowd buying cases of water, TP, camping gear, generators, canopies, etc.

So anyone who stocked-up just did what they were asked to do by their national officials.

Hoarding? I see that as a person who does not buy for personal use and wants to profiteer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?