View Single Post
Old 10 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #23
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I've believed this for a long time now: ALS prices weirdly. Many of their pieces that should sell much better are priced far too high for the market compared to their more popular competitors (Patek, and possibly even some other Richemont brands like VC and JLC).

ADs discount because they have to, not necessarily because they want to. Why would anyone *want* to leave money on the table?

I love Lange, but from what I can tell, it's not increasing in popularity compared to other brands (even other Richemont brands). They're still weirdly positioned in the marketplace, and suffer from horrible marketing as they always have.

That said, I'd say Lange is still my absolute favorite of the high-end Richemont brands. And I want to see them succeed.
Ive never purchased a Lange from an AD so I cant speak from personal experience but if AD's are losing their accounts, it is likely due to EXCESSIVE discounting. Dealers are looking to movie pieces. Obviously they would prefer to sell full price but if someone can walk in and buy a piece at 20% off while other places stop at local tax, then maybe that's why they are getting the axe as they are not "towing the line" so to speak.

Lange is becoming more popular but that doesn't necessarily translate to an immediate upswing in sales, more of a gradual one I would think. We are starting to see the secondary market values climb for select references, more and more press coverage on various watch blogs and even their Instagram is starting to pick up just a bit.

I agree with you on the marketing though. They have a horrible PR department (or maybe they don't even have one considering what we've seen). I don't have the answer (PR was never my forte) but maybe a famous German spokesperson? Actor? Isnt that magneto guy German?
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote