View Single Post
Old 1 May 2023, 07:52 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Have unfortunately not come across one of the newer Tonda PFs yet. Much to my regret as I would be very interested in seeing that first hand. Don’t like those triangular surfaces on the bracelet visually in the pictures, but otherwise it’s a very pretty watch from a brand I have a particular soft spot for, despite their many failings and disappointments over recent years.

The Alpine Eagle is a more robust construction, it lacks elegance both as a design and in how it’s executed, in my eyes at least. Like the VC Overseas it’s „sturdier“ than the IWC, in the same way that a Mercedes All-Terrain Model is sturdier but less elegant than the equivalent regular model without the black plastic on the wheelarches. But it isn’t as well finished as an Overseas either. Plus I just don’t like the placement of those screws visually. So not a fan of that one, but it’s very subjective.

The Polo I never really had an interest in, so can’t really speak to that one. With its lugs it’s more of an Aquanaut adjacent design and less of an integrated one. But FWIW I‘d expect it to do pretty well in the finesse of how it wears/feels. That’s something Piaget is typically pretty good at.
Still find it interesting that you consider the GP to be a "sturdier" feeling design than the new Ingenieur, based on pics. But again, will have to try it.

I should also admit, I'm not a great IWC lover these days, but that's largely because (as I believe we've discussed previously) of the fact that it loves to brag about its history of developing watches for the Luftwaffe, though having scrubbed that word from its marketing materials. It has not, on the other hand, realized the irony in engraving the back of the Mk series (developed for the RAF) with a Luftwaffe aircraft.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote