Thread: 1961 gmt
View Single Post
Old 22 February 2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Haddles
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tom, I also don't understand why the watchmaker won't carry out the work, he did a stunning job last time. It may possibly be because I left strict instructions to not change any parts at all as you have suggested. What surprises me more is that Rolex in London won't do it. They are saying it is because Geneva have the tools and parts required along with more expertise and won't send out the parts, they keep them all in house for this age of watch. I probably only have one not great picture of the watch and as it's still in London at the moment - I can't get any more. I will see what I have and try and post them later. The Rolex technician in London has told the agent I used that the watch is still all original face, hands, plexi, etc, and the case has hardly been polished at all hence the rarity and possibly value. The bracelet was brand new about 6 years ago when I bought the watch. I must admit I had no idea of all this and when I now look at other examples online - I can't find anything as nice looking. Other than a little bit of cracking in the lume on the hands, everything is very nice condition, the markers on the face even still glow the following morning after wearing it.

I absolutely love the watch and can't bring myself to not repair it so I can keep using it, but I also don't want to spend what could be thousands of pounds on a watch that may not have the value to warrant it. Neither Rolex or the agent seem keen to place a value on it for me.

I guess I'm just a bit nervous of sending it to Geneva and committing to a pretty open cheque book really - I will be £1500 in even if I don't go through with the repairs, this does seem a bit excessive for estimation! I was presuming RSC London would jus carry out a service and all would be fine.
Haddles is offline   Reply With Quote