View Single Post
Old 6 April 2023, 07:00 AM   #3817
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I think you are close but did a wrong assumption: we must NOT extrapolate the trendline in this graph.
I extended the graph shown in #3647 by adding the following timegrapher data sets:

(1) NEW: Before Regulation (highest amplitudes), no PR measurements
(2) NEW: After Regulation (reduced amplitudes), no PR measurements
(3) Before Repair (reduced vertical amplitudes), PR measurements
(4) NEW: After Repair (increased all amplitudes), PR measurements

The isochronism fit for (1) would probably look as I have sketched in the graph below (dotted black line). But I did not measure the PR before/after the regulation, therefore only one data point for (1) and (2).

The dotted vertical (green) line at Xrate = 0 s/d indicates perfect isochronism, that means the average amplitude decreases but the average rate remains constant.

Agreed, explained above, one must NOT extrapolate the fit (trendline) of data set (3)

Agreed, isochronism means that the rate remains stable with changing (decreasing) amplitudes. Sure, that rate is not the primary input increasing the amplitude, but I say: if a watchmaker trims the 32xx movement to obtain highest amplitudes, without looking at the rates, then high rates will be the result. That is the aim of my proposed experiment.
Appreciate the extra info. To be clear, I was not saying that we should extrapolate (for the reason I mentioned - I don't believe it will be linear in the positive direction) but I was saying that is what I believed was leading you to come up with those projected numbers. If not, my mistake.

I think I better understand what you are proposing, but I'm not sure it is possible in practice. I.e. I'm not aware of an "amplitude trim" that a watchmaker has at their disposal, at least not in this environment. Maybe Bas can add some insight here. My understanding was that mass produced movements really aren't "adjusted" by hand, they are simply assembled, lubed and regulated. The adjustment (e.g. balance wheel poising, hairspring shaping, etc) is happening by some machine in the manufacturing process and is baked into the combination of parts that a particular watchmaker sits down with to assemble. So the only real "knob" the watchmaker has to turn is the regulation (again, this is in the context of a mass produced movement with readily available parts). If I have that wrong I'd love to hear more about what other tuning occurs in a service center environment.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote