View Single Post
Old 2 April 2012, 11:42 AM   #21
jedly1
"TRF" Member

The 5513/7 bezel is standard - same as a normal civilian 5513 - though obviously with a different insert.

The a6538 bezel is IMHO the missing link , it's in effect a handmade prototype of the bezel design that would become synonymous with all subs going forward from the 5512 intro in 1959.

The British navy divers / mod use of Rolex dive watches featured heavily in the advertising material of the time and there've cab be no doubt there were close ties . The previous coin edge bezel design we know from the 6200 to the 5510 is a bugger to turn at best of times on dry land ... Imagine doing it underwater !!! The mod had received initially. Batch of standard 6538 watches , but only a couple of years later they received this batch of unique design A6538 ... I'd guess partially as a field test for the new bez design .. A result of their initial feedback ? .. Who knows for sure but if they were being used as a real life test group then possibly...

For me the significance of this model as the missing link between the old sib look and the current sun look can't be overstated ...

And once again , I'll point out that if Ian Fleming researched what watch the royal navy gave its operatives ,, or even just picked up a piece of Rolex advertising at the time ... You are looking at the true inspiration for bonds watch - not some explorer that the novice would jump to conclude was described in the few clues given the book could refer to.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote