Thread: Lang and Heyne
View Single Post
Old 25 January 2020, 10:39 PM   #33
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Not at all, you’re reading far more into anything I’ve written.

My comments are nothing more than simply not seeing the need to effectively talk a company down without anything concrete to back up what is a fatalistic knee jerk reaction to something which occurred 7-8 months ago.

As far as I’m concerned, L&H now is no different from L&H in June/July last year, other than someone decided to leave/sell his share, just like Peter Speake-Marin did.
When you consider that an L&H is somewhat a cut-price RW Smith, why wouldn't you want to express support for them and their continued existence?

By way of a yardstick, Peter is by all accounts an extremely accomplished watchmaker, so what has happened to his former company since the departure? Nothing… absolutely nothing. They haven’t disappeared, and are still making the quality watches they’re renowned for.
As such, what grounds have the naysayers in this thread to recommend that others don’t buy a Lang & Heyne now?
Even with Marco at the helm, there’s never been any guarantee the company wasn’t going to cease to exist, has there?
So when will it be “safe” to buy one? When their accounts have been made public?

Do we know for certain that Akrivia/Rexhep Rexhepi is going to be around in 3-5 years time?
Of course not, but yet that doesn’t stop some members from talking them up because they admire the look of the Contemporaine.
So is the true reason for expressing doubts about L&H down to the fact their pieces don’t appeal as much as some others?

Just for the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, I’d be standing up for any other brand (independent or otherwise) where similar nonsense was being mentioned – it just so happens that it’s L&H in this instance.
Past examples are no indicators of what could happen here.

The wait and see approach would also apply to their quality and direction, not just financial stability. Agree that Marco leaving likely wouldn’t make L&H more or less financially sound. But you, nor anyone else, can predict what his departure will mean to the quality or direction of their future watches.

The comments from myself and others on this thread would/will be exactly the same if and when Rexhep, Max, Journe, Flageollet, Gauthier, etc move onward.

Lastly, and I think this has been mentioned before, a major draw of getting a micro independent brand is to have a watch touched by the watchmaker himself. He had a say in the design. He had a say in the creation of the movement. He had a say in the design of the watch. He oversaw QC. He may have even worked on a component in production. That is now gone at L&H.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote