View Single Post
Old 15 September 2021, 10:27 AM   #33
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Nah, it's not like the quartz crisis at all. With the quartz crisis, one could decide which type of watch to wear, but they essentially did the same thing, more or less, so mechanicals simply moved up market.

With the Apple Watch, which is very much still a "watch," you have a bevy of health and other features that are competing for wrist real estate, which is why you see posts like this from people who want stay interested in a somewhat esoteric hobby while simultaneously taking advantage of smartwatch features. Eventually, the mechanical watch will be the vestigial tail that falls off, just like my grandparents' currently-unused pocket watch succumbed to the wristwatch, the latter of which was seen as quite "feminine" for years prior.
Respectfully I would counter that an Apple Watch is no more a watch than a cell phone is a watch. I mean they both tell time, right? The only difference is that one you wear on your wrist and the other one you don’t and just because you wear it on your wrist doesn’t make it a watch any more than pouring vodka or bourbon into a martini glass makes it a martini. I would also counter that the decline of pocket watches had as much to do with the decline of vest pockets as it did anything else.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote