View Single Post
Old 15 September 2021, 02:07 PM   #35
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
All true as long as the wrist continues to be the preferred choice to convey information from your pocket computer (phone). How long do you think that will last? It strikes me as pretty unlikely that teeny-tiny little screens on our wrists will be the preferred medium for very long. I imagine smartwatches are just a temporary stop on the way to a better and more user-friendly mixed-reality approach. There's a reason everyone is also working on smartglasses, and even contact lenses. Currently those options are terrible -- even worse than the teeny little screen on your wrist -- but it won't be that way forever.

*edit* And of course, all of this ignores that we have two wrists, and don't actually have to choose.
I think it will last a while on the wrist. If anything, I could see more and more people giving up phones for the wrist device, ironically a bit like how the pocket watch morphed into the wristwatch. My wife already goes out quite a bit without her phone and only a cell-connected Apple Watch.

It's one thing to wear a mechanical watch to go along with having the time on the phone in your pocket, since a wristwatch is still more convenient, but wearing an Apple Watch on one wrist and a mechanical on the other is just embarrassing. As I mentioned above, it's like pulling around an old 911 with your Tesla.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote