View Single Post
Old 15 September 2021, 03:59 PM   #48
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I’m not using anecdotes. The Apple Watch is the biggest selling watch in the world, and the Swiss watch industry, outside of a handful of brands, has been hit hard. The Apple Watch even began outselling the entire Swiss Watch industry a couple of years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, I love mechanical things. I wear mechanicals, drive vintage cars, and have even taken watchmaking classes, but I’m trying to be honest with the situation. If the OP wants to wear an Apple Watch, more power to him, but piggybacking it with a mechanical is silly. Just get a JLC Atmos clock or something for the desk, if marveling at mechanicals is still important.
In the previous post that I quoted you were clearly using anecdotes. In this one you are reaching for statistics. Yes the number of Apple “watches” vs Swiss watches is larger but the more meaningful number is revenue which we can’t know. “Fashion changes, style never changes.”, said CoCo Chanel. At best Apple watches are fashionable. Will they ever have style? If so they sure have a long way to go. The news of the death of the Swiss watch industry has been greatly exaggerated based on six years of Apple “watch” data. The sky is not falling.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote