View Single Post
Old 24 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Perhaps the key here is to establish realistic personal goals and aspirations. Not everyone can be a nuclear physicist or world-class athlete. As a nine-year old my personal goal was to be a MLB player. By the time I reached 13, I realized that this wasn't gonna happen regardless of how much effort and energy I put into the process of skill development.

Abdullah, you remind me of a former HS gym instructor. Back in the day and at the beginning of each school year, physical fitness tests/evaluations were conducted and the gym period was broken down into three groups: (1) the ones who were fit and coordinated (so to speak), (2) those who met basic fitness levels and (3) the unfit/uncoordinated types.
This particular gym instructor (a former Marine) was in charge of the lower group and unmercifully strived to get these lower-tiered fitness group kids 'in shape' and guess what? It didn't work as year after year they were relegated to the 'low group'. On the other hand, many of them have gone on to successful careers while a sizable number of the 'fit group' never amounted to a hill of beans. Personally speaking, I always managed to be the middle group as I was not extraordinarily physically gifted nor uncoordinated from the general standpoint of fitness evaluation standards of the day.

As far as 'participation awards' are concerned, why not? As long as they serve to encourage an active interest in a particular endeavor I see no fault in them. During her early years (6-7 years of age), my daughter's youth soccer league handed out participation certificates to those who remained active in league activities. Since they were not keeping score at these games, my daughter simply worked on her ball-handling skills and became quite adept (to the point where some parents considered her a bit of a show-off). The desire and drive to go beyond certain limitations has to come from within and this effort is often best reserved for those actively pursuing a realistic collegiate/professional career.

Life is too short to establish pipe dreams of unreasonable attainment. If your drill sergeant/Vince Lombardi approach works in your personal approach to life, more power to you. Just try to keep in mind that there are others out there who may (or may not) share your inflexibilities.

Apologies if I deviated as well Bas. It had to be said and as always, I wish you the very best in all of your endeavors.

You have missed the point entirely. Aspiring to excellence in everything one does is not the same as failing to be a professional ball player. It is simply driving oneself to be the best at whatever endeavor one chooses.

Your advice to set the bar lower is the antithesis to developing a drive to be successful. Do you advise students that a D is ok? Is it ok to almost pass a driving class? Is losing a goal?

If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well. Advising people to do anything half ass is cheating them out of ecouragement to go beyond their boundaries. What would this world be if no one was encouraged to reach for the stars?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote