View Single Post
Old 10 October 2019, 11:23 AM   #26
Lordainz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Agree completely with both of these statements but disagree on the conclusions. Focusing on exclusivity with high barriers to entry in a space with no competition is a tried and true formula for hype fueled growth. No different than the latest exclusive club/lounge/speak easy/farm to table mixology moon vape pop-up firefest. It is a successful model but one that is trend/fad focused.

If RM combined all of that marketing with unique in-house/owned IP, technology, capabilities, and dedication to craft to build products in the long run that can stand on it's own merits and could only come from the house of RM, then RM would actually be laying the foundation for the future and "doing everything right". As it is, only focusing on throwing fuel on the marketing fire is shortsighted, it will stabilize valuations in the short run while in the hype cycle and drive immediate growth but makes no investment in the future.

I think the RM business model is more accepted in fashion were tastes, trends, and brands come and go. In high luxury and watches were brands are measured in 100's of years and heritage has become a massive barrier, I don't know that same formula has staying power. Don't even get me started on thinking of RM watches as pieces of art. There are far too many, few if any are piece unique, none are the product of a single artisan, etc... and you don't even get a tax break.
Well that is a solid point.
Lordainz is offline   Reply With Quote