View Single Post
Old 14 December 2020, 02:02 AM   #1
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14 Finally broke down and purchased a grail watch of mine. The Yacht-Master II in-depth.

I have been eyeing the Yacht-Master II since 2007. It’s one of those Rolex watches that doesn’t get much attention from the newbie Rolex buyer that goes mainstream with a Sub, DJ, GMT, etc... That’s o.k as I don’t think Rolex is targeting them by its high priced $$ msrp or complex movement. The design and overall look of the YMII has been calling me for over a decade. Perhaps because I have owned all the mainstream Rolex models that generally look similar. I love purposeful big beautiful watches that are a extension of my personality and lifestyle. I wanted to wear it and use it for a bit before I gave a report so now is that time.

The Yacht-Master II looks are flashy but not ostentatious but certainly has a (lack of a better word) “FU” attitude with a masterpiece of a movement to back it up with.
Ah, the movement and here is where I will give this watch its grail level worthiness. As many know, am a pretty advanced watch enthusiast with 30+ years of experience with Rolex and other well established brands. At this point I am a watch movement super nerd and wear that title with honor.

A in-house caliber 4161
count down fly forward/backward programmable chronograph is a masterpiece of design and engineering.
. This was and is a big friggen accomplishment. More so it’s in a watch that has a proprietary “command ring bezel” attached directly to the movement but still yields a water resistance of 100 m! That makes this a watch that can be used for water sports from lite diving to snorkeling and general swimming pool activities. There is the Rolex toughness durability even in one of their opus level complex movements. You don’t have to be a watch nerd to understand how significant this is. Making a timing bezel that attaches to the case?... impressive but generally done well by others. Making a bezel that is attached directly to the movement and used to program a mechanical chronograph???????......Bravo Rolex.

How it wears:
The YMII is a 44mm watch but with a much more graceful case shape and lugs much like an oversized Daytona. That means it wears significantly more comfortable and more like a traditional Sub than it does my DSSD JC. It’s so comfortable on the wrist because the case is not thick at only 13.5mm which gives it a perfect balance without flopping around. Rolex also got the dial to bezel ratio spot on. This thin case is absolutely amazing considering inside lives a incredibly complexed and masterful in-house Rolex movement.

Here is a comparison with my largest dive watch I own.

Use and Application:
This is one of the most misunderstood ideas about what this watch can be used for. Rolex built this movement as a programmable 10 minute regatta countdown Chronograph timer. This is a show of Rolex technical abilities much like the wr depth of the DSSD. The shortsighted critics get all wrapped up in the “yacht” and “regatta” theming try to poke fun they don’t own a yacht. I would bet most Daytona owners have never set a foot on a racetrack let alone raced a car. Most Submariner owners are not professional divers, etc... It’s that simply how Rolex markets and picks luxury lifestyle “themes” for their luxury watches. It makes a lot of sense having a boating/water themed watch to complement the dive family of watches as well as a platform to showcase their technical movement.

I find the 10 minute countdown timer covers what I use a chronograph for 99% of the time. Cooking, business, general use, etc... It’s significantly easier to see than the small dials on my past owned Daytona. It also doesn’t need the screw down pushers as the Daytona so the buttons are always at the ready to start a timer. It’s a chronograph you don’t need to fuss with and I find myself using a lot.

I purchased my new Yacht-Master II from a trust seller and professional I have done many of deals with in the past. Top shelf service. I received my full box set as well as stickers on the watch. I thought I would take a few pics of removing those sexy stickers for those that have not engaged in this sexy watch striptease.

I also applied my patented “easy link scratch saver” green felt sticker. This little wonder keeps the clasp from scratching the link when using the easy link extended system. I did a tutorial on this a few years back and it does work and holds up to daily watch washings with Dawn dish soap. I removed only one link to fit my 7”+ wrist. I also kept the micro adjustment inside the clasp on its factory middle position.

One cool trick the count down timer does is when the minute hand reaches 0, the large red sexy second hand continues to sweep around the dial. This can be easily synced to the constant smaller second hand if you want to run it continuously. It also does no harm to the movement as we all know about this with the vertical clutch benefits. Another trick is if the larger second hand is moving and you do need to start a programmed countdown, all you need to do is push the lower button and the hands and movement jump back and instantly start timing again. Button push is smooooooth and clicks with a audible satisfying resistance. It oozes quality in just engaging the buttons. These are the little things you notice that Rolex does on how good a luxury timepiece should feel.

The hue on the blue command ring bezel is spot on with the blue on the dial. It’s a rich nautical blue that makes the platinum filled markings on the bezel “pop”. The touch of red on the dial completes the theme. It’s a show stopper with off the charts wrist presence.

I always feel like I buy watches right before they become the next new big thing???? I did it decades ago with the Daytona and a few years back with the LVC. I can’t say I follow what the herd mentality tends to buy but in a weird way tends to follow my taste historically. I don’t buy watches for investments as I am too much of a watch/movement nerd to even care. I will say the YMII is way ahead of its time like the LVC was but more importantly its movement is a technical masterpiece which really separates it from about everything out there if that matters to you.
I found the YMII incredibly rewarding to own and use. It’s no apologetic look connects to me but it’s technical movement and comfort on the wrist checks all my watch nerd boxes.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote