View Single Post
Old 1 June 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Icon17 A "MUST SEE" museum for watch fans everywhere!....Caution! PICS!

It's probably no accident that Rolex founder Hans Wilsdorf chose London when he began in the watch trade: It used to be the center of the watchmaking universe!

If you find yourself in London you simply must plan to visit the "Clock(Watch)makers Museum."

http://www.clockmakers.info/index.htm

http://www.clockmakers.info/index_files/page0024.htm

A 5 minute walk from St Paul's Cathedral...Admission is free!

I just returned from my 2nd trip there and this visit was a real treat. I hope all of you have a chance to see it someday. Here are some pics that I hope you enjoy!

One side of the Guild Hall courtyard upon entering...

The entry to the watchmakers museum is on the left..near the autos...

Your humble protagonist, amateur horologist, TRF'er and WIS(!)..entry is through the double doors on the left...

London...and...watches! What's not to love? (note jacket and umbrella in trouser pocket..sigh, is it May?!)

Upon entering you're greeted by a "Who's Who" of London clock & watchmaking with this floor plaque..The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers Coat of Arms is in the center...the names/colors denote their proximity to the museum....

When I came in, the fellow on the right was giving a tour of the museum. His knowledge of the exhibits was superb and he was a pleasure to listen to as he described these historic timepieces....

Turns out it was the curator! Sir Alan White. Now this is who you want to hear talk about the displays! He doesn't normally give tours...Boy, did we luck out! Pictured at back below grandfather clock (looking very bored!)is my hapless colleague,Dave, who didn't know what he was getting himself into! I'm sure he will never tag along with me again if I mention the word "watch" in my itinerary!

The beauty and rich history of London Clock and Watchmaking came alive with his detailed descriptions. Back then, watches were individually commissioned works of art with beautiful details and elaborate craftsmanship...

Sir Alan described how London was the original heart of the fine watch and clock making industry....And that during the Napoleonic wars era they enjoyed a near monopoly on the trade....

Some of John Harrison's ingenious works are on display...on the upper right is one of his pendulum clocks powered with wooden(!) gears, and a running replica of his H1, the first true "Chronometer" that helped solve the longitude dilemma...

Before parachrome hairsprings and ceramic bezels there were....Wooden gears!

Wow! It's H5! The last Chronometer built of the design that won John Harrison the Longitude prize...below is his own personal watch built for him by John Jeffreys...

A Marine Chronometer from the EJ Dent Co...the guys who built the clocks on the belltowers of parliament (aka Big Ben)

The end of an era begins: In the late 19th century after Napoleons defeat, British watchmakers and the trade were open to competition from the continent....French, German, even American timepieces began to flood the market....the pieces on the lower right in red are all Bregeuts...

Closer on the Bregeuts...it was hard to shoot as everything is behind glass...

Some mass produced watches from Waterbury Co (Pre-Timex!?)...cheap, mass produced, and reliable timepieces were the beginning of the end for the London clockmakers who thought their clients wouldn't buy such inferior products....(boy, does history repeat itself?!)

Even though Sir Edmund Hillary became a Rolex ambassador, he wore a Smiths Industries wristwatch on his summit of Mt Everest...here it is! The black ribbon is a temporary addition to mark his recent passing....

A bust of George Daniels, British inventor of the Co-Axial escapement...
http://www.danielslondon.com/

I had the opportunity to meet and chat for a few moments with Sir Alan...I thanked him profusely and told him I would help spread the word about this beautiful little gem of a museum! Had on my Breitling B1 that day....

Capped off my day with a victory lap through Harrods impressive fine watch department (sorry, no pics allowed!). Rolex has their own boutique...Then it was Fish'n'chips and a cold beer....Life is GOOD!

Hope you enjoyed your virtual visit....hope you can see it in person someday soon as my photos don't do it justice! Tell them TRF sent you!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote