View Single Post
Old 13 December 2006, 11:43 AM   #18
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Let's see. First, 4 alarm watches you can add to your list are:
1. Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie (around $5K?)
2. Girard Perregaux Traveller II (around $5500 retail, $3k grey market)
3. Revue Thommen Alarm (hand wound, around $1200.00 new?)
4. Eterna 1948 Alarm (around $5000.00)

I have tried on #1 and #2, both are excellent, I would likely pick the GP because they do such fine work on their movements--in this case the watch houses an older movement, the AS 5008 (which GP has rights to manufacture at this time). The Eterna also uses the AS 5008. They make excellent watches but are hard to get in the US.

Now of the ones you mentioned, I would say: Vulcain is solid choice with older movement which is reliable and has the advantage of being loud and easy to hear, like a cricket noise. This is the watch which Eisenhower, Nixon, and Lyndon Johnson wore while they were President (Revue Thommen used that exact same movement until 1997). The disadvantage, if you want to call it that, is that it is hand wound. Given that I usually wear automatics, I am prone to forgetting to wind sometimes.

JLC--fantastic quality and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. I have tried this one on and it's on my list to buy. Beautiful watch with great manufacture movement. The only issue I have is that the nice sounding alarm can easily be too soft sounding in many settings to alert you. Everything on this watch is first rate: attention to detail, value, comfort, durability, etc.

Blancpain--this one is also on my list. It's got a newly designed manufacture movement and the alarm is reasonably loud. This watch shares the same movement with it's "brother", the Breguet, although Breguet does much more finishing work and has a finer case. I like Blancpain as a brand and want to own this one myself. Great choice in my opinion.

I like the Breguet as well, but since you are not in favor and it's a lot of money and it shares the same movement with the above, that's enough said.

Panerai--This uses the same AS 5008 designed movement as the GP and many other manufacturers like Eterna and Dubey & Schaldenbrand. I have not tried this one on but I know that Panerai tends to wear big on the wrist. They do a good job designing very readable dials and I have not heard anyone complain about durability, etc. Solid watch is my impression.

Ulysse Nardin Sonata--If I had the money I would buy it--it is the class of this category. It's a pretty big watch and wears big but it's impressive with a brand new manufacture movement and features (countdown timer) that no other mechanical watch has. The alarm sounds wonderful, I would say it's a bit like JLC's tone.

If I were going to pick one, I would go with Blancpain. If I could also afford a 2nd sportier model, I would pick the JLC. Have fun shopping.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote