View Single Post
Old 28 October 2019, 10:13 PM   #18
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
1- What are areas that Seiko/GS fill and rolex doesn’t?
Answer: A whole new way of building a watch. The Spring drive is fascinating (as you noted) and their attention to detail with dauphine hands that all follow the gramercy of design is ridic.

2- I’m more leaning towards a GS, especially the US exclusive SBGA387, which model other than that one would you suggest?
Thoughts: sbga211g (white snowflake), also, that burgandy/wood stain sbgh269 is beautiful in person.

3- I never buy my watches as investment but I like for my watches to retain or gain some value. Out of the lineup, which ones are more likely to follow that?
Answer: Depends on the model. The white snowflake does retain its value fairly well. It doesnt gain value like a Rolex, but it doesnt lose half its value when you take it off the lot.

4- finally as a “made in Japan” watch which by some is viewed as a “second class” to “Swiss made” is that true to the watch quality and future value as well?
Answer: No, they are not second class. In fact, back in 1968, GS took 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in the chronometer trials, losing the top 3 spots to the new Quartz watches that were introduced then. After that the Swiss were a bit hurt over their stinging loss and stopped the trials. As for today the GS Spring Drive will maintain better time than a Swiss watch.

Buy with confidence and enjoy the watch!
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote