View Single Post
Old 17 December 2023, 12:20 PM   #1
7sins
"TRF" Member

Getting into VINTAGE Rolex watches...Where to begin/advice!?

The old (or should I say vintage, ahem) adage, they don't make them like they used to, is feeling more and more applicable as I get older.

Living in a city saturated with modern AP/PP/RM/Rolex has given me an appreciation for more esoteric and eccentric vintage watches that are less common and subjectively more aesthetically pleasing. Something about a 6263 Daytona, a bloodstone daydate, AP 5402, 2960 santos ghost etc that is effortlessly chic, enigmatic and is ultimately reigniting my passion for collecting again. Over the years, I have never ventured down the vintage path and as I begin exploring, I am realizing how much more there is to learn.

As my journey begins, I was hoping to have those of you highly experienced in vintage rolex or vintage watches in general share your experience over the yeas, lessons learned and of course any photos you want to share. Hoping a few of you can share insight into several of my questions below as well? Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful replies ! B

> The majority of vintage watches are much smaller, I feel comfortable in a 37mm 6263 (as the pushers IMO make it wear slightly larger) but curious to everyones thoughts on a 36mm daydate? I have little girl wrists and have always strayed from anything larger than 42mm but at 36mm fees like it would wear quite small? Perhaps the optics of a stone dial like Jasper, Laspis or Malachite optically make the watch wear larger given the empty dial? Thoughts on sizing would be greatly appreciated, not concerned with AP given their lug design makes the watch wear larger. I have several Cartier Tank's and have no issue on their small stature but I feel that is appropriate given they are on strap as well as a dress watch.

> How important is box and papers? The delta for a naked watch vs complete in vintage is significant, more-so than modern watches. Does this impact future resale or are buyers less picky with b/p on vintage watches?

> Without b/p, what is the presence of replica watches? I've read stories where people swap the movement or case etc? Is that still prevalent and how do I ensure a watch is original that is over 50 years old. Any other red flags I should look for when purchasing? Presume I would need the papers to verify the dial hasn't been swapped?

> Is there a preference between 4 and 5 digit rolex?

> Recommended books or websites to further educate myself?

> Are there specific vintage watch dealers you trust and or where are you getting access to collectible vintage watches? I presume I am going to have to shop more auction houses for what I am looking for opposed to C24 and the like I've used to access modern watches. Christies and Sotheby's come to mind, any other auction houses for watches?

> Do you service the watch through an AD or what is the best route for service/maintenance?

>Anything else I am missing besides this will be a much more expensive endeavor than I anticipate?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote