View Single Post
Old 14 August 2016, 10:41 AM   #41
rolexwee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieDaBear View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forums and the brand new owner of a "batman" GMT Master II. I love it. Wear it every day.

Quick question. I thought the GMT hand should be positioned at your local time. For example, I live in EST. When I travel I can put the local time on my watch using the hour and minute hand. That way it is much easier to set. So I have local time and EST on the "GMT" hand.

Does that make sense? For a traveler like myself it is more useful because I can look to see what time it is at home and know what time it is at my location.
First off technically you don't live in EST. You live in a place that uses the US East Coast rules. Right now EDT rules are used. EST rules are used in the winter.

The GMT hand is made to be set to GMT. Set it to GMT / UTC. Then to find out what the time is in East Coast time during the summer (EDT), move the bezel 4 times to the right. For the 4 hours EDT is behind UTC. In the winter it is 5 hours. If you want to find out what the time is on the west coast, you move it 3 steps more to the right.

Here is a video that explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4cZPgN9Oc
rolexwee is offline   Reply With Quote