View Single Post
Old 3 June 2018, 02:40 PM   #20
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
I have a question about winding the watch. Is there a clear stop or should i stop when i feel resistence? At the moment i just give it 15 to 20 winds and stop once the watch start running.
Like most, if not all, manual watches, you keep winding until you feel a resistance. There will be a clear resistance once you reach the end of the winds, it will feel too tough to wind any more. Seriously, just keep winding until you feel a tough stop, it's very different from the normal winds once you reach the end. The watch will tell you when to stop because of this tough resistance. Once you reach this point, just release the crown and wait another 1, 2, or 3 days to wind again.

If you ever had/have an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch or a Nomos Glashutte watch, then it's exactly like that, however, these watches only have a power reserve of 48 hours and 42 hours, respectively.

Most watches have a power of 36-42 hours so you have to wind every morning or day and a half, which is kind of annoying. But the 72 hours for this watch is quite generous. I've been leaving mine on for more than 3 days and it's still sticking... it's actually more than 72 hours, so I'm not sure how long its power reserve actually is.

Also, you're right about the sizing on your wrist. It's absolutely perfect for my 6.5" wrist, but the I'm using the middle hole in the strap. I don't know what it'd be like if my wrist was any bigger. With that said, even with a 7" wrist, I'm sure it still looks very traditional on your wrist. I think that the modern and contemporary trend is giant watches, however, the traditional look is that of a smaller watch on your wrist, aka having a watch that does not overpower your wrist, yet elegant enough for a true wrist presence.

You can check out people wearing the Patek Philippe 5119R (36mm diameter and like 43mm lug to lug or something similar), very small on the wrist, but absolute wrist presence due to its design.

Lastly, you can go to your Authorized Dealer and put in an order for a larger strap from A. Lange & Sohne for about ~$475 if you need a larger strap, which it seems like you might need. That would annoy me. Or you can just buy a new strap from a third party and change it yourself, however, it feels like the lugs width is 19mm so it's hard to find straps with that measurement.

You should do a review on it after another month. I'm curious what other owners think of it. I'll probably write one up later since I've only had mine for a week.

EDIT: I just read your post from May 2, 2018 asking this question about the crown "rolling back" during manual winds. Out of curiosity, since my watch has gone way over its 72 hours of power reserve and still ticking, I figured I'd wind the watch a few times to see this "rolling back" mechanic you asked about. The answer is "Yes", it happens on mine, too. I can see it happening when I let go of the crown even after a single or a couple winds. This happens at the end of a full wind for my Omega Speedmaster Professional and Nomos Club as they reach the end of their full winds. This is actually pretty cool, it's a unique mechanic I haven't seen in another manual watch before. In any case, you can just wind it up until you feel a true resistance at the end like you would on your Omega Speedmaster (you mention you had one in the post at the beginning of May).
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote