View Single Post
Old 26 January 2021, 07:37 PM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquisition40 View Post
Definitely not the same design. Similar design philosophy and identity, yes. But the $5,500 27.02 has a completely reworked "open" movement with Swarz-Etienne, which is a massive upgrade from the Sellita in the $900 17.01.

Beyond the movement, the 27.02 is an extra-thin at 6.9mm with display back, more complex case design and finish, and gradient sapphire dial with guilloché.

$5,500 is definitely a lot more than the $900, and definitely up there with IWC and other established brands. But if other major brands released something of a similar spec ("openworked" display movement, gradient sapphire and guilloché dial, multiple case finishes, less than 7mm thick), it would probably be offered at a higher price even if they manufactured it at scale. Only thing I'm uncertain is the overall finish, but I've heard from Ming owners that it has gotten pretty good.

Overall, the watch did sell out in a matter of minutes, so I think they priced it strategically and to the liking of buyers.

S

At the same point, it's "just" a modified ETA movement with a stamped dial that overall looks pretty similar to the $900 OG.

I understand that there are fans of the watch, so, good for them.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote