View Single Post
Old 26 March 2020, 12:56 AM   #3848
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
lmao. I knew I should not have posted any personal thoughts. and I assumed it would be a challenge from you in some way, before I even read your actual words.

my mistake. I was also obviously being a bit sarcastic. I did not mean to actually put the hoarders on an island together and televise it either. I apologize for attempt at humor.

for smoking, almost my entire team smokes. including my best friend and COO. I worry for him and them. If they get this virus, I would assume that smoking would make them more susceptible to the more severe problems.

in this case, for me, it is not about spreading the disease. it is about reducing the possibility of, when it takes hold, that it gets worse. I personally think nearly everyone is going to get it anyway. no matter what we do.

but yes, if we are going to really debate banning behaviors based on this virus than alcohol would be logical. Not only for the reasons you say, but also because it lowers the immune system and would make someone more susceptible to getting the more severe effects of the disease.

for the record, I was being facetious. Besides social distancing, I do not think we should be banning anyones behaviors. Sorry if that came off wrong.
Sorry if I came off wrong, I wasn't really challenging you so much as pointing something that's related to what happened here in Hong Kong a few days ago.

Here they are very open and specific as to where and when people who've tested positive, right down to the apartment building they live in (before shuffled off to the hospital) or where there were groups (a wedding on this date at such and such a place, for example) so others in town are aware. They've also not closed businesses, eateries, had "shelter in place", etc. They advocated companies to allow people to work from home but that's about it. They do have strict quarantine rules and electronic monitoring for those who have to self-isolate at home. There's so many doing it now (about 20,000) that the 2 weeks is just part of life in the city.

Last weekend there was a positive test for a lady who it seems was out partying (in an area of town known for partying) that has fallen back into being a draw for too much loose social contacting. This particular lady was..ahem.. "social contacting" to the highest degree with a group of friends.

Once the awareness was out there, not so much because of this 1 person but because along with the inbound HKers bringing new cases in from abroad a sense that too many people were relaxing while out partying too much, the government moved pretty quickly and announced the ban of alcohol sales in all restaurants and pubs effective a few days ago.

That they didn't shut down the pubs and restaurants entirely, but only banned alcohol sales, allows the businesses to stay open to sell food and non-alcoholic drinks instead of shuttering them entirely. In other words, they don't advocate crowds, but they also recognize that a bunch of sober people around each other acting responsibly are far less likely to cause a problem than a bunch of inebriated ones who, as the night wears on, get more careless.