View Single Post
Old 14 August 2018, 03:40 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on your definition of "hurt." I feel the reason Omega continues to make so many variations is because of one reason......it sells like hotcakes for the most part....especially most of their limited editions. And mostly it's because the variations are good looking watches...not that surprising with the DNA being from the Speedmaster as a lot of watch people have shown to be smitten with from an aesthetic point of view.....IMO it's still the most legible chronograph out there for the most part that's been around that long.

The watch itself is iconic and timeless since the introduction and few know thoroughly about its tie to space travel/NASA (I'm assuming you might not even know as much as you think you do with the jab on the Peanuts character....look up Apollo 13 and Snoopy Award). But the design is magical as it appeals to a wide range of audience....hence it's not hard to see variations do well also with consumers.

I think most of us guys who collect Speedmasters eventually hit that point though....do I really need another Speedmaster and what's so special about this new limited whatever edition.....it does put a sour taste in my mouth personally after so many iterations and the limited editions continue to pile on at a faster rate in the last years.....it'll hit a dead end sooner or later IMO when people just get sick of their limited edition scheme of marketing and all their "new" Speedmasters will just sit.

But as long as they are creating new nice Speedmasters that appeal to me, I certainly won't mind collecting them.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote