View Single Post
Old 14 March 2019, 11:23 AM   #10
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderkg View Post
I'll leave a quick morsel for any sceptics.
Just a few counter-points to some of your "morsels" if I may:

Quote:
FWIW, in my personal experience there are only a few ADs around me and none, I repeat none will verify used Rolex's or take the backside case off. I've asked each in person in years past on other deals, and done business with each for new watches, and again none will touch pre-owned to authenticate and I don't blame them since what's in it for them? Maybe elsewhere in the world ADs will do this, but unfortunately not local to me and I imagine the practice is fairly standard elsewhere.
There are ADs (and grey dealers) with watchmakers on-site who can/will take a peak at a watch for you. There are at least 3 within 30 miles of me that will do so.
It's true that many will not give you any sort of "official" authentication, but most will be able to tell you that all looks OK (or not).
Some will do it for free, some charge a fee. Probably doesn't hurt if you know them and/or have done business with them.
Quote:
Terms of sale cash or wire only? Last time I checked this is not a payment option on ebay.
Perfectly normal request on a high-dollar item though (and cash is definitely OK if the local pick-up option is offered).
The last high-$$ watch I sold on eBay was bought by a dealer who happily paid via wire at the negotiated price.
There is no way I would accept payment via PayPal on a $20k+ transaction these days. YMMV there...
Quote:
Rehaut engraving appears off.
Bad pic, nothing more.
Quote:
with zero prior history of selling high end timepieces I would proceed cautiously.
Feedback is definitely one (of many) things to consider. In this case, he may not have any previous watch sales history, but that really only means he is not a grey dealer/flipper.
He does however have a 100% rating with recent activity, and previous transactions for a $70k+ 911 and a $13k+ Harley Davidson (both with glowing feedback).
Quote:
Pass for me, but hey...if your comfortable making a deal with this seller go for it, but please report back and I hope my reservations are wrong and nothing but the best for that buyer. :)
Not a bad idea. think I will reach out to him, seeing as he is local.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote