View Single Post
Old 17 August 2018, 03:40 AM   #46
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
I read over this thread again, and maybe I’m missing something in this discussion..but naaah I don’t think I am:

Seriously, I say So what that your watch has now increased in value? Who cares. If you do, sell the damn thing for a profit and quit whining and wringing your hands in worry.

So you paid 3k, 5k, whatever a few yrs ago and now it’s “worth” 15k.....ok.....but you only put what you paid into it, right? So compare it to some other tangible item you did or could have bought in that same year for that same amount....something that didn’t appreciate. Compare it to another depreciated asset. What does it matter.

Wear the damn thing

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
I honestly don't think this is a realistic attitude or one that most people take toward any other item. Yes, I only have $x into it and I got it to enjoy, but if something appreciates in value (i.e. it's not a depreciated asset) then it is natural to consider taking a profit from it. If you were a comic book collector and bought Superman #1 as a kid, and held onto it till now because you liked looking at it, but now you learn it's worth a ton of money, you would never hear someone say, "You only have 5 cents in it and you bought it to enjoy it, so read the damn thing!"

No one is whining - this is a forum where people discuss (with all due respect to everyone here) absurdly more minute details of collecting vintage, expensive watches than whether or not selling it when the price gets high enough is something worth considering.
vcnyls is offline   Reply With Quote