View Single Post
Old 3 December 2012, 05:06 AM   #22
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I understand the reason, but I have mixed feelings.

Most people, including many Rolex owners, know very little about watches. I have friends who got a Rolex for the prestige of it (nothing wrong with that) rather than because of the automatic movement or orther horological reasons. They do not remove any of the extra links, and let the watch flop around like a bracelet. When I compliment them on their fine timepiece, I inevitably get, "Oh, this? It keeps terrible time." It turns out that none have ever wound their watches.

When some of our relatives have passed on, we have found various antique watches (from the 1930s-1940s) in boxes drawers, etc. It would be helpful to know if they are valuable for purposes of dividing them up, deciding whether to keep or sell, or even to fix and wear. Sometimes it is not worth to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a watch that is worth far less. For example, we got an antique Baume & Mercier chronograph (model 902). The crystal is broken and it has no strap. We took it to a watchmaker, and because of the complications, it is probably more expensive to fix than what it is worth. It has no sentimental value, so in the drawer it sits. Alternatively, if one is a very rare timepiece, that would be helpful to know.

Also, isn't TRF a reputable place to do research? Is eBay the only alternative?

I understand some people may be abusive, but if someone does post a photo bout the found watch, what is inherently problematic about spending 30 seconds to say their watch was a common or uncommon, potentially valuable, worth getting checked out by a dealer, etc.

Plus, there is always the fun "Antique Roadshow" aspect to finding a rare watch.
I think TRF can be an excellent place to learn about any vintage watches in our families, and by posting pictures and asking people for their comments, and opinions as to authenticity, condition, where to go for restorations services, what to "restore" and what NOT to restore, and in general, by sharing what you have (picture-wise) with the rest of us, we can and love to help out with our own personal input. That being said, anyone really interested can and should spend time doing their own research and searches, here and elsewhere, and not expect us to do your work for you.

Coming here merely to "Value" a watch is NOT what TRF is all about, we are a community of likeminded enthusiasts, who like to learn and share, with other likeminded individuals.....If you want to know what something is worth, you can very easily have your watch appraised locally, of course, paying the fair market value of such a service.

Just my humble opinion....

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend