View Single Post
Old 22 February 2015, 02:01 AM   #7
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post
I have been asked this many times and I think I have the "best" answer.

Scenario 1: You do not put it on a winder, the watch needs to be manually set every time. Depending on time in storage, oils can coagulate, dry up and require service over time.

Scenario 2: You keep it on a winder, you rarely ever have to change the date and time and the oils are constantly being used. You are also putting 100 times the wear on the moving parts, gears, spring, etc.. than if you wear the watch only a couple of days a week.
Service time for either may be the same as one way uses the oils and the other way coagulates the oils.

The difference between these two scenarios is that you are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the movement and these parts cannot last forever. I personally would rather NOT use a winder and deal with the inconvenience of setting the time and/or date once a week rather than foot the inevitable repair bill to replace parts that have been worn dues to 24/7 use.

The best scenario for me is to wear the watch at least once a week or two to keep the fluids from coagulating, keep the moving parts moving but, not wearing them out from constant operation.

Short Answer for me: NO WINDER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Regardless of winder or not seals and gaskets in watch dry and harden up over time so waterproofness will be compromised. A winder has not been shown to wear out a movement any faster than not wearing the watch. How many instances have you read on this forum someone winding up their watch when something inside goes "snap"? When the mainspring stays fully wound on a winder it keeps the movement at peak accuracy and the mainspring is less likely to break than if it is always going from a wound to unwound back to wound state.
So as far as my opinion my two Subs stay on my winder and stay fully wound and
Properly set regardless of whether I wear them or not.
And there you have it, to opposite sides of the coin, to which the old question of to use winder, or not, goes round and round and round.
Reality is, it doesn't matter one way or the other. If you don't use a winder and leave it sitting idle for long periods of time (a month or more), give it a manual wind once a month to keep the oils from pooling and give the gears a turn......
If you do use a winder, you have to reset at the end of every second month for the date anyway, but good for you, you've got watch set and ready to go......

My preference is to let the stop. I just don't see the point in having it running as I dont need to read the time on it, as I'm not wearing it. Resetting when I rotate to a stopped watch, to me, is all part of the fun of owning a mechanical watch... It's easy, and takes less than a minute to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Your choice, there's no "correct" way.
A more sensible answer!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote