View Single Post
Old 23 February 2021, 06:04 AM   #1
raclaims
"TRF" Member

My new Canopus Speedmaster

Once again the OB blew me away with their top notch commitment to service. They have made me an Omega customer for life now.

When the white gold speedy was announced it struck me as the "one" to have but I was concerned about legibility after seeing all the press pix.

I'm one of those guys who actually enjoys reading the time on his watches so to me legibility is always a top requirement.

When the boutique received theirs's the sent vids, pix, called me and swore to the legibility. So I pulled the trigger and in person it's not an issue at all. In some light it's better than others but I've had zero issues at all.

OK...so many ask, why pay so much more for the white gold over the sedna. I have several rose gold pieces and they get little wrist time because I find that rose gold is for others and white gold is just for me. It's not flashy yet feels special on the wrist.

I have no problem with flashy...don't get me wrong...however the watches that are more stealth are the ones I tend to gravitate to on a daily basis.

So how is the watch in the metal?

I think it's terrific and honestly think that Omega has put themselves in a realistic conversation vs Rolex.

Yes I know, many prefer Omega already etc etc...however the great masses would tend to choose a Rolex over an Omega. And to be perfectly honest, until recently I would have never considered an Omega over a Rolex.

I own a blue dial WG Daytona and clearly this is pitched against it. So I'll do a little comparo on that too.

But for now, the Speedy...it has a real classy sophistication about it. It exudes upscale sportiness.

The color is very interesting. I guess the mix of WG and palladium vs rhodium coating provides a more "silver-ish" warm hue.

The bracelet while much improved over the prior still is the weakest part of the watch IMHO. It's interesting that they chose a brushed finish on the bracelet while the watch case is polished...but it works and make the watch all the more "stealth" in appearance.

The bracelet feels very light and overall the watch feels much lighter on the wrist vs the Daytona. Don't get me wrong, you feel it on the wrist and it feels special...just not as heavy as my other gold watches.

I like it...it's someplace between a usual gold watch and SS in weight.

I can go on and on but no one loves LONG reviews so I'm happy to respond to specific questions.

So to Rolex vs the Speedy in gold:

Both are excellent choices and I think both have some advantages over the other.

I love manual wind and the ability to see the movement so clearly Omega wins this one.

The bracelet wins hands down on the Rolex.

They are both gorgeous and feel special.

To me the true victory here for Omega is that they have taken a huge leap forward while Rolex tends to sit on their hands a bit.

I like the black bezel on the Speedy as it provides a nice contrast. I can read the time better on the speedy which is huge and I can read the subdials as well which I cannot on the Daytona.

I think it's a homerun and elevates the Speedy and brand overall and kudos to Omega!!

Pix to follow
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote