View Single Post
Old 12 February 2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
As far as I'm aware, the power reserve indicator doesn't bear any relation to manual or automatic. My 689 has a ten-day power reserve with a linear indicator across the lower half of the dial. It's automatic. However, the iconic 233 has an eight-day power reserve, same linear indicator yet it's a manual.

My favourites are the 1950 Luminors. Most will recommend the classic base models but I'd be looking at something with a little more to offer. Take a look at the 312 and 359. Maybe look at something with a GMT complication, like the 233.

If you're a flipper, I agree with Brandon; buy a used, tidy reference and don't worry about losing money. If you're a keeper like me, buy new but do your homework and look for the best deal you can.

I buy from the OP boutique in Singapore out of loyalty because I'm treated exceptionally well there. Sure, it costs me a little more but I'm ok with that. I place a value on service and loyalty because I'm old school (and soft in the head)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote