View Single Post
Old 19 October 2018, 03:50 AM   #5
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Using TRF as a vehicle for group buys has long been prohibited.

Of course, you are volunteering to "manage" the million dollar account that such a group buy would generate, what could possibly go wrong.
1. That's not explicitly written anywhere in the rules, and there was no way to know that. I wouldn't even say it's implied in the rules, although I could see how someone else might feel differently.

2. This is a project that I thought would be fun for the forum, and the forum clearly seemed to agree. It benefits everyone who wants to take part and harms nobody. I think allowing collectors to do something cool together is a fantastic use of the forum and, in a lot of ways, embodies what the forum is all about.

3. The claim that I would be managing a "million dollar account" isn't even close to factually correct. This could be partially my fault, as I might not have explained the way this would work as clearly as I intended, so I'll explain more clearly below. Once again, I have zero affiliation with the AD that would be helping with this aside from buying a few watches from them in the past. If you PM me, I'd be more than happy to tell you who they are, who I am, and have them confirm this, or do anything else to confirm that I'm just a collector that thinks this would be fun and am not benefitting monetarily in any way. If the forum wants to use a different AD or have a moderator "manage" this, that's totally fine with me. I had the idea and took the initiative to start it, but someone else is welcome to do that if they so please. Additionally, I was never taking people's information down (the spreadsheet I had was only to get a rough estimate of how many people were interested), and I would never touch any of the money. When it came time to do the order, I would have given those interested the AD's contact information -- I would not be operating as a "middle man" of any sort.

I'm still getting PMs from people who are interested and are wondering what happened. I think it would benefit everyone if we could find a way to work this out, as I and a lot of other members think this would be very fun.